12 Great things to do with your tax return
April 18th has come and gone which means you’re most likely due for a nice check from Uncle Sam. Use your tax return wisely and treat yourself to something you’ve always wanted.
- Filing your taxes can be hard. In fact, there are 10.1 million words of US tax code.
- The average tax refund is $2,895. But, those from Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisiana top the charts with averages over $3,000.
- It takes about five hours, on average, to manually complete with 1040EZ form. Incredibly, Form 1040 takes around 16 hours.
Some of you may have already received your tax return check while others are waiting eagerly for the check to arrive. Or, perhaps you’re taking full advantage of the extension. Either way, tax season can be a bit daunting. But, once that check comes in the mail, it’s a bit of relief and starts to burn a hole in your pocket. We’ve compiled a list of the best things you can do with your tax return so you can catch up on all the tech and trends you’ve missed out on.
If you got back more than you were expecting
The best possible situation; you have more money coming in than you thought. While you’re probably not suddenly a millionaire, you can go above and beyond to treat yourself to something extra special. Here are our top picks for you:
- DJI Mavic Pro Platinum Drone – Stunningly silent, this drone is at the top end of the DJI range. You get 30 minutes of flight time to record sensational 4K footage. And, it’s portable. Price: $1,099 USD
- BenQ CineHome W1700 Affordable 4K Projector – All things are relative when calling this projector wallet-friendly. However, you get razor-sharp 8.3-million pixel detail for a fraction of the price of other brands. Price: $2108.68 USD
- HTC Vive Pro Virtual Reality Headset – Having a nice chunk of change to spend seems dreamy, but this headset can whisk you away to another world altogether. Price: from $799 USD
Of course, even if you want to treat yourself, it’s wise to be a bit frugal with your tax return. After all, being smart with money will get you far. If you’re looking to get something new while also saving a bit, these products should fit the bill:
- DJI Mavic Air Folding 4K Drone – More affordable than the Pro, the Mavic Air houses a 4K camera along with a 3-axis gimbal for exceptional footage no matter where you go. Price: $799 USD
- Bluesmart Series 2 Smart Luggage System – If you’ve committed part of your tax return to curing your wanderlust, you’re going to need the right luggage. This set features GPS and 3G connectivity for global tracking. Price: $325 USD
- Beoplay E8 Truly Wireless Earbuds – With a signature Band & Olufsen sound experience, these wireless earbuds offer an impressive 12 hours of playtime. Price: $299 USD
If you got less than expected
Just because you received less on your tax return doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy it. There are plenty of great gadgets and devices that are wonderfully affordable:
- GoPro Hero Action Camera – Being on a budget doesn’t limit your cinemaphotography skills. You can grab this GoPro at an affordable price to capture your everyday adventures. Price: $199.99 USD
- mophie Powerstation AC Universal Battery – Complete with all the ports you could ever need, this massive 22,000mAh battery provides your laptop with an extra 15 hours of power. Price: $199.95 USD
- ILIFE A4 Smart Robotic Vacuum Cleaner – You can’t put a price on practicality and convenience. But, if you had to, we’d say the price of this robot vacuum is just perfect. Price: $159.99 USD
A good little saver
Another great option for your tax return is to not spend it. While this may seem a little crazy, bear with us. This extra chunk of change can become your rainy day fund or in case of emergency. Alternatively, you could invest your cash to earn more down the line. If you’ve always been interested in cryptocurrency, using this extra income would be a great place to start.
- HooFoo Hackproof Bitcoin Wallet – This nifty hardware does just what it says; it keeps hackers away from your cryptocurrency so you can invest with total peace of mind. Price: $169 USD
- Digital Bitbox Minimalist Cryptocurrency Hardware Wallet – If you’ve got little left after your investment, this affordable cryptocurrency wallet should do just the trick. Price: $65.99 USD
- CapitaLIST Pig Chalkboard Piggy Bank – If you’re back to saving the good ol’ fashioned way, look no further than this piggy bank. With a chalkboard exterior, you can write your savings goal right on the side to keep you motivated. Price: $24.12 USD
Have you already spent your tax return? Tell us in the comments below.
The Gadget Flow Daily Digest highlights and explores the latest in tech trends to keep you informed. Want it straight to your inbox? Subscribe ➜